Sunday, March 1, 2009

A dress for Avery


My sweet little Avery just turned two. Honestly, she isn't my little girl, but she is my favorite little girl in the world and although she is my fourth cousin, I prefer to think of myself as Auntie Michelle. She is the daughter of my best friend and cousin and will always be such a special little angle in my house of testosterone.

I had planned on making her a sweet little play dress for her birthday. I bought the material days before she turned two, but things kept coming up. So tonight, after I practiced my thread painting and modified my technique, I started to work on Avery's twirly dress.

I'm happy to share the pattern with you if you're interested. Just email me and I'll send you a PDF.

Let's get started:
1. I cut out two bodice fronts and two bodice backs
2. I sewed the two bodice fronts together, right sides facing (see photo). I sewed the neck first, and then the arm holes.
3. I sewed the two back pieces together the same way.
4. I turned the front bodice and the back bodice right sides out.
5.I pinned the shoulder seams and the side seams and serged them. (note: when serging knits make sure the knife is in its highest position and place the fabric to be sewn under the presser foot so that the fabric is snugly up under the knife. This will prevent the fabric from slipping. )
6. Using my rotary cutter, I cut a strip 14 inches long and the entire width of the fabric (52inches) to use for the skirt. I sewed the strip into a tube by folding the material onto itself and serging the raw edges.
7. I used a basting stitch at the top of the skirt making sure not to back stitch. I pulled the bobbin thread to gather the skirt. Once I got the proper gather and size to fit the bodice I pinned the skirt to the bodice.
8. I serged the bodice to the skirt.

The next step is to add finishing touches...hems, top stitching, and pockets. That will be for another day...like tomorrow! For now, enjoy these pics of this easy dress.

~M
Both back pieces cut and ready to sew
Front and back finished and sewn together.
Closeup of finished armholes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Spellbound Seamstress Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez