Monday, February 23, 2009

Thread Painting...I think I'm in love!



Now that I've finished my most recent project and my long term project isn't due until September, I've become enamoured with thread painting. It incorporates all of the things I love about sewing into one beautiful application.

For me, sewing is more than just a means to an end. It's freedom of expression. It's my paint brush. All of the colors, the patterns, the endless possibilities are incorporated into unbelievable texture. Thread painting allows a seamstress and quilter to act as an artist. You get to use free motion embroidery, free motion quilting, darning, stippling and a myriad of thread choices to create a masterpiece.

I've started work on a gift for a girlfriend in Israel. Passover is coming up soon and I've never had the pleasure to make her something truly unique. With my new found inspiration, I've started work on a pomegranate wall hanging that incorporates all of the symbolism that is present at the passover table and in Israeli culture. The colors are extraordinary and vivid and the patterns and textures remind me of Israel and its countryside.

Once I finish the project I'll be sure to post my findings along with some helpful tips. Meanwhile here are a few resources to check out if you're interested in thread painting and the art of incorporating it into your quilting and sewing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Spellbound Seamstress Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez